Like giving vitamins to a baby

December 4th, 2010

[This is one of those semi-technical posts that would have helped me, so I’m leaving a trail marker behind me for others.  And I know a few who will read it just because they love to learn.]

Okay, we scratched the dried-fruit-paste method.

Here’s what’s working.

The Supplies

One wide-awake baby with a clean diaper, a nearly-full tummy, and a pleasant disposition

Two small containers

A 1 mL syringe

1/2 tsp. extra-virgin, organic coconut oil

A mug of hot tap water

1/4 tsp. Nutrivene-D

Just enough mother’s milk to turn the powder into a liquid

A straight pin

One cod liver oil softgel

One 1000 IU vitamin d3 softgel

1 mL Sambucus (tasty elderberry-flavored syrup)

Two drops liquid ginkgo biloba (truly evil-smelling stuff)

1/4 tsp. infant probiotic powder

2 ounces of mother’s milk in the SNS bottle

Designated (previously stained) bib and burp cloth

Haven A Capella cd ready to play

Washcloth, baby bath, more coconut oil

What I Do With Them

Place 1/2 tsp. coconut oil in small container and set it on mug of hot water to melt.  Place Nutrivene-D powder in other small container and stir in tiny amount of mother’s milk.  Add Sambucus, ginkgo, and probiotic powder to 2 oz. mother’s milk in SNS, and swirl gently to blend.  We never, ever shake breastmilk.

Put bib on baby, extra burp cloth at baby’s chin, and baby on lap.  Grab syringe, push “Play” on cd player, make eye contact with baby, and sing along loudly with huge smile on face.

Least tasty first:  Fill syringe with vitamin milk and inject it far back into one side of baby’s mouth a little at a time, allowing baby to swallow.  Repeat until vitamin milk has been consumed.

Little bit tastier:  Take straight pin, pierce cod liver oil softgel, and squeeze into baby’s mouth.  Do the same with vitamin d3 softgel.  Put melted coconut oil into the empty vitamin-milk container and stir to get last bits of vitamins.  Give baby coconut oil by the syringe-full, a little at a time until consumed.

Tastiest of all:  Allow baby to nurse using the SNS until 2 oz. elderberry-flavored milk has been consumed.

Wash baby’s face and anoint with coconut oil, rubbing in until absorbed, thereby providing her with excellent sensory stimulation.

And Why

Beth, at Hannah’s Shenanigans, has explained it so well here that anything I could add would belong in the Department of Redundancy Department.

P.S.  Edited later to say that we’ve added one drop of GSE, or grapefruit seed extract, to her daily regimen.  It seems like all the immune-system boosters are effectively helping her fight off the sickies, since she hasn’t succumbed to any of what the others in the family have gotten.  Since her surgery, she’s had a few days of a slightly stuffy nose.  Not even enough to need the nasal aspirator.  :)

8 Responses to “Like giving vitamins to a baby”

1. Beth says:

Love the Department of Redundancy remark!   I don’t know if I’m that thorough, but glad for you to share my post with your readers!

2. Shauna says:

I’m giving Reagan Vit D drops on my nipple when she nurses and probiotics and coconut oil now, but I’m wondering when I can/should start her on the other stuff.  Thanks for the trail marker…it’ll come in handy! :)

3. alice says:

((((Susanna)))), I have the same struggles when it comes to my house! Thank you for your honesty!

4. Verity is so blessed to ahve you for her mommy.  Thank you for sharing, I like to read all of what you are doing for your precious Verity.

Susanna, I like to read your blog, I do check in every day, but always don’t take the time to comment, but I’ll change that if possible.  :)

May the Lord bless you today in a special way and your new routine.

Much love to you!

Tanya, you are sweet, and I love you, too.

Alice, you are sweet, too!  XOXO

Shauna, we just made the decision to go ahead not too long ago, so we’re just getting started.  We’d probably have waited until V. was over 10 lbs.  If you try it, I’d love to hear how it goes!  (On the advice of another mom, I marked down the date we started this protocol.  Just for the record and all.)

Beth, you and your Hannah are some of my favorite inspirations on this journey!  I’ll be bugging you with more questions in the years ahead, I’m sure!  Thank you so much for making yourself available!

7. Carol says:

Susanna,
    I don’t know if you see comments on old posts, but this is so helpful! Reality is starting to set in with Niko coming home, and this is exactly the kind of information I needed. Thank you!

Carol, yep! I see them all as they come in. Please don’t hesitate to email me with questions. Also, have you looked into Baby Center dot com’s Down Syndrome board? Lots of great info to be had there from the combined experience of thousands of moms. They also have a good listing of other resources. You will do great, I have NO doubt!