Temporary ceasefire!

November 2nd, 2010

Well, over a week has gone by and my sweet little lion cub is still fighting against the whole idea of nursing.  We thought she was making a little progress, but it has vanished and she has gotten extremely defensive toward any attempt I make to nurse her.  She does not latch, neither does she suck, and she has mastered the art of swallowing without closing one’s mouth.  I’m pretty sure she can now see the thought of nursing as it flits across my face!  If I didn’t know that nothing is impossible with God, I would conclude that this goal is impossible!

So here’s the plan!

~A complete rest over the next day while she takes her 24 hour Holter monitor test.  She’s supposed to go in for that today and then we mail the device back in to the office after 24 hours.

~Wait until we get past Wednesday’s occupational therapy and Thursday’s physical therapy, possibly trying a few strategies that have been suggested to me each evening.

~Then, with the blessing of Doctor Morton, we are going off bottles cold turkey starting Friday morning, and (Nurse Donna’s words), “Stick it out as long as you can.”  She nursed in her sleep one evening last week for forty-five minutes and got three ounces, so we know she is physically capable of nursing.  She has been gaining chub at a fast rate, and perhaps that has been provided by God for such a time as this.

We are willing to put in the work to get her to where she needs to be, but let me tell you, this is one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do.  It would be easier than easy to just give up!  I’ve had to go back and remind myself of why this is so important to her in the long term.  And knowing that so many of you are praying is helping to put courage into me!

“We are praying for little Verity.  I got out my nursing book yesterday afternoon after we spoke on the phone.  I looked up what little info it had on nursing a baby with Down syndrome.  I’m sure you already read it, but it convinced me that you must not give up.  I’m thankful that you are so determined.  Keep up the good (hard) work!”

And above all, the Word that is upholding me in this battle!~

“And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”

This is God’s Word, there is no wiggle room in these plain words, and I am counting on it to be true!

11 Responses to “Temporary ceasefire!”

1. Shauna says:

Well then beginning Thursday night when I wake up to nurse the baby I will be praying for you and Verity non-stop.  Don’t give up hope.  I was told that Reagan would have a hard time and I just sat there and cried and prayed that I’d have the strength and stamina to get through it and God answered my prayer by giving me the best nurser I’ve had yet!  I want you to know what a blessing your blog has been to me…I’ve read it start to finish and it was practically a devotional to me.  You put words to things I was feeling :)  Now if only you lived in California so we could be friends!

2. ((((Susanna))))  I’ll be praying for you and that dear Verity will realize that she can nurse and that it is good for her!  May the Lord be your strength and yes, nothing is impossible with God.  :)

3. Joy Horton says:

Susanna, you are doing an awesome job. I can see the wisdom in every decision you make and I’m just SO proud of you!!! ((((hugs and prayers for a ‘better attitude’ for little Verity)))))

4. patti says:

Susanna, have you heard of the 24 hour nursing cure? I’m sure you’ve looked into everything, so I hope I don’t sound like a know-it-all;) Our hospital gives out a paper on this method, and they say they have never had a baby fail to “get it” after employing this method. (Not sure if they count babies with Downs? but I thought it would be worth a try.) Let me know if I can send it to you, maybe I could scan it and send thru email.

5. Ilisa says:

Good plan and I have been saying prayers.  Little Calvin has done that exact defensive move and I’m so afraid he’ll go back when heart surgery is done and we move on to the real deal.  I am right there with you in that it would be easier than easy to just give up but you know it is the right thing to do.  I have had that same thought of how it wouldn’t hurt them to go a bit without their usual number of ounces.  Anticipating success!!!!!

6. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

((((Hugs)))), Susanna.  The Lord is giving you wisdom and will continue to do that all the while.

Many of us onlookers don’t know what those important reasons are for getting a baby with Ds to nurse.  Would you mind posting about that?

This strong will of your baby’s is going to stand her in good stead many times to come in her life.  She will be able to do some things simply because she won’t give up easily.

7. Anna T says:

Many, many ((hugs)) sent your way and prayers.  The invitation to come is open, just let me know?  My sweet LO is waking up from her nap, so, time to run : ) !!

Thank you, every one of you, for the supportive arms that you are reaching out toward me!

Patti, I hadn’t heard that name before, but I googled it and found this:

It sounds worth a try!  Thank you!

Shari, I will post them!  And thank you for the encouragement about V’s spunk.  You are very right!  Stubbornness can be an asset if it’s working for the right side!

9. Jennifer says:

Praying for you and Verity both, as Friday approaches!   Are you able to arrange some help so you can try that “24 hour cure?”  It sure sounds like it might help!  Lots of prayers!

10. patti says:

yes, that was what I received from my hospital. Hard to implement with all of your kiddos, but maybe worth a try?

11. Qadoshyah says:

Good for  you & little Verity to keep pressing on with breastfeeding. It’ll benefit her SO much, especially with her oral muscles for speech later on. It took a bit of time for my brother to catch on, but he was still in the NICU when he started nursing full time. We did a 24 marathon where my mom went to the NICU every 2 hours round the clock (it was exhausting, but worth it!) to prove to the nurses and doctors that he would be okay just breastfeeding and that he could do it. We had them put a sign on his bed that said “NO bottles.” It worked. He didn’t gain weight that 24 hours, but he didn’t lose weight either. It took a lot of work over the months, but he got it down no problem.
    Here’s my mom’s view if you want to check it out :) ~ http://www.gotdownsyndrome.net/nursing.html