Relief! Rejoicing!

November 30th, 2010

Did you pick up on the fact that we have been dismayed by Verity significantly slowing down in her eating?

She was eating less, eating more slowly, pulling off a lot, and even losing a little weight!  I was offering her twice as many nursings in hopes of getting enough into her, but it seemed like a losing battle!

The dismay is only partly due to the effect that it has on the household.  It’s also because it’s the first time she has actually gone backward in her development with no medical reason.

I’ve been saying resignedly, “Well, I guess it was coming.  It’s probably not realistic to assume she will keep progressing as she has been.”

And similar dolorous words.

Well.

I’ve been using a Medela supplemental nursing system that a friend loaned me.

Being reluctant to offend anyone’s delicate sensibilities, I have refrained from explaining exactly how the contraption works.

Basically, I put my pumped milk into a little bottle that hangs upside down from a cord around my neck, allowing milk to come through a tiny tube into Verity’s mouth as she nurses.

[Was that delicately stated?]

They come with different sizes of tubing, and the one she loaned me had two working tubing units–one large and one small.

I used what I thought was the smallest first, then it broke.

Oh well, good thing we have another one on hand!  We’ll use that!

That worked for a good long while.

But then today the second one began leaking badly!

Oh no!  These things are expensive!  Did my friend say the Medela company sent her a free replacement part?  But I’m not the original owner.  And besides, I am using it pretty heavily.  How many will I go through before all is said and done?

I called my friend for the company’s toll-free number.

The Medela representative I spoke with asked a lot of questions, and in answering her questions I discovered…

I had gone from the large tubing to the small tubing!

My poor baby!!!

It makes me sad to think that she has been trying so hard and getting so little and losing weight, because I’ve been using the wrong size of tubing!

The Medela lady told me that she was going to send several bottles, replacements for the smaller parts, and several new large tubing sets.

For free!!

Oh the rejoicing! Thank You, LORD!!

11 Responses to “Relief! Rejoicing!”

1. sabrina says:

Oh, what a good thing you got that figured out and how wonderful that the solution was provided for!

2. Danielle M. says:

Yay!  Little Verity will be in for a treat when the mail arrives!  That company is wonderful.  My pump diaphram broke during my weeks of trying with Luke.  I fixed it as best as I could with clay.  But the company sent me the parts that aren’t available anymore elsewhere for free for a pump that I told them I did not buy.  I got them in just a few days.  Hooray for great customer service in a day when that is not the norm.
    So glad your problems may have as simple a solution as new tubing.  Sometimes life is like that isn’t it?  We think big,  huge problems, but all we really need is a new tubing :)

3. Misty says:

Rejoicing with you!!  That is wonderful! =)

4. Kristin says:

Woohoo!  I’m glad it’s all resolved…so wonderfully.  I love it when God takes what seems to us to be an insurmountable, inexplicable problem and fixes it with a few parts and a nice customer service person.  Reminds you who owns the cattle on a thousand hills… (not that YOU needed to be reminded, but it was a great reminder for me)
    Praying that Verity jumps back to where she was before!

5. Stephanie Blanchard says:

REJOICING with you!  Praise God for simple answers!!!!!!!

6. Amy says:

Oh man!! So glad you figured it out!! PTL!!! :) Prayed that things will catch up again once you get your correct part! Hang in there, dear Verity!! Momma is going fix things! :)

7. Shauna says:

ditto what Kristin said.  I needed reminding who’s in control of all…especially the lack of funds we are facing at the moment.  God himself is in charge of Reagan’s care and I must remind myself of that on a daily basis…mostly by reading your blog!

8. Anna T says:

YEA for new tubing being sent to you!!  Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!!  It’s been a little busy here the last few weeks.  I have enjoyed “catching up” with you via your blog — I love the pictures of Verity during her “therapy/play-time”.  You’re doing an awesome job!!  Many Scripture verses also are so helpful for me.  This one is always great for me, “Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.”  I Peter 5:7 (NIV) — I heard a show last week talking about how we are not “made” to carry all of the anxiety of our lives around with us.  We MUST give it to Jesus, our Creater, Redeemer and Friend.  Yes, cast the anxiety of not feeling that you’re learning enough, doing enough, doing the “right” thing, etc, etc…  give it to Him…  Enjoy getting ready to celebrate Jesus’ birth — Happy December 1st!!

9. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Oh, Praise the Lord!!  I’m glad it was an “easy” answer.  Verity must’ve been so puzzled by the difference…. “OK, Mom, what are you doing — feeding me less??  I’m trying so hard, really!”  ; )

10. Joy Horton says:

Yay! Free replacements AND an answer to her not getting enough! God is just SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!

11. Tami Swaim says:

wow…wow…wow….The Lord is so good EVEN with the delicate issues of life!  Or especially with the delicate issues of life.  Praise Him!