poISoNouS cOmParIsoNs

November 16th, 2010

Verity…with the typical child I’d been expecting her to be.

Verity…with the mythical “perfect” child.

Verity…with other babies her age who have the typical number of chromosomes.

Verity…with other babies her age who have an extra twenty-first chromosome.

In acceptance lieth peace.

The peace of accepting God’s design for Verity.

The peace of accepting that her physical appearance, while lovely in our eyes, is flawed in the world’s eyes.

The peace of accepting her physical capabilities as we work to find out their limits.

The peace of accepting her cognitive capabilities as they begin to reveal themselves to us.

God has perfectly suited this child to our family.

He designed our family for Verity, and with our limitations He has also given us gifts that she needs.

He also designed Verity for our family, and with her limitations He has given her gifts that we need.

The LORD does not see Verity as man sees Verity; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

Behold, Verity is a heritage from the LORD, this fruit of my womb is a reward from Him.

For You formed Verity’s inward parts; You knit Verity together in my womb.  I will praise You, for Verity is fearfully and wonderfully made, marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.

Verity’s frame was not hidden from You, when she was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  Your eyes saw Verity’s substance, being yet unformed.  And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for Verity, before one of them came to be.

9 Responses to “poISoNouS cOmParIsoNs”

1. Betsy says:

And I can’t help to think… created in the image of God!! In His image, may we never forget, each human who lives on the face of this earth was fearfully and wonderfully made.
    Thank you so much for sharing a piece of the heart (in word and photos) God has given you . Oh how it touches my soul!
    So pleased to hear of Verity’s progress in nursing and praying for you as you adjust to your, yet another, new schedule. : )

2. Angela in MT says:

A lesson every parent should learn.  And I LOVE that sweater!!!

3. Joy Horton says:

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!! <tears>

4. Marilyn Osborn says:

Love, love, love this post.  :)  And that picture of her is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for continuing to write…..it blesses me so deeply!

5. Anna T says:

Yes, she is “wonderfully made” and part of His perfect plan!!  Psalm 139 was very powerful for me when my 3rd child was “stuck” during birth and her arm was broken. (she was born really quickly and weighed only one ounce more than her older sister).  I was in awe of how quickly her arm healed (in 3 weeks) and how “wonderfully made” she is.  I prayed earnestly for our baby to be wonderfully made without any defects when I **may** have been pregnant with Jacob.  He IS wonderfully made with an extra chromosome.  I memorized Psalm 139 with a friend (two verses at at time per week and sometimes we stayed on two verses for more than one week) after Jacob was born.  Who is in control? Jesus and What does He say?  We are “…fearfully and wonderfully made” and “…all of our days are preordained before one of them comes to be”.  Powerful words to mediate and pray!!  Yes, only Jesus will give you “perfect peace” that “surpasses ALL understanding” — thank you!!

6. Angiedawn says:

I Love this post and “precious” seems such an understatement for that picture! What a doll.

7. Tami Swaim says:

Love the sweater!

8. Lara Font says:

a wonderful post and one I needed to read today..thanks for blessing me today!  XO

9. Patti says:

I love this photo! She looks so sweet playing with her toy!! If you ever travel to Oregon…Lily wants to play with her friend Verity:) You would always be welcome to stay with us! ox