Full term grace

November 12th, 2010

Yesterday I decided to let sleeping to-do lists lie and take my baby dolly out to play in the transient loveliness of a sunny November afternoon.

This past Sunday night marked exactly nine months to the day since my phone call to the midwife revealed the news of Verity’s Down syndrome.

Sunday, February 7th ~ Sunday, November 7th.

I wish I could go back to that shocked and grieving pregnant self and show her the truth of what this means to our life today.

If I had just known, I would have celebrated that God actually picked us for this marvelous privilege.  Like I do now.

What is the difference between then and now?  The inner knowing borne of experience.

We have experienced the undeniable reality of Down syndrome and the undeniable reality of the endless grace of God.

Has Down syndrome brought our family harm?

No.  Only greater good.  Only greater blessing.

Has God’s grace really proven endless?  Is it enough to cover the peripheral issues He sent with her diagnosis?

Yes, and more than enough.  Are we surprised?  What a God!

Someday I want to attempt to form words around this privilege.

But for now, my heart is full.

“This is a LEAF, Verity,” explained Daniel.  “See the LEAF.”

(Just look at that straight, strong girl!)

“I am PROUD of you, Verity!”

“O how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men!”

9 Responses to “Full term grace”

1. Denise says:

Oh good for you Susanna– letting the list sit– and going out side!!

She is such a BEAUTIFUL little girl– and she really stares into your eyes– I can SEE the LOVE!!!

What beautiful pictures & memories!!

2. Angiedawn says:

Such sweet,sweet pictures!!!!!! I LOVED them!!!!!!!!

3. Joy Horton says:

<tears again> Absolutely precious pics and writing, Susanna. I so rejoice with you over Verity’s life and the blessing she has brought to your family!

4. Shauna says:

I know what you mean about trying to form words….but I don’t think its truly possible to completely express in words because everytime I try I end up just saying “you know what I mean”  :) It’s a heart thing, and it’s huge!  And praise God for that!!!  So sweet to see Verity out in the beautiful outdoors!

5. Debbie says:

What a beautiful day to be out!  Love the pictures, so sweet.

6. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

I smiled a big smile and sighed a big happy sigh when I read this post.  How beautiful!

7. Marilyn Osborn says:

I stopped by to get my sweet fix of Verity today and, as usual, I was so very blessed to read.  The pictures are simply PRECIOUS…so touching.  And your words, so ……well, I hear your heart…and His.  Love you, dear friend.  I’m so very grateful the Lord led you to do this blog.  It touches me deeply.  Thank you for investing the time to do it.  I believe the Lord is using it for Kingdom reasons…..reasons you’ll not likely ever even fully grasp.  To the praise of His glorious grace……

8. Tami Swaim says:

This fall weather has been amazing.  I’ve been enjoying it with the children as much as possible.  So, glad that you got out there in the sunshine with your ‘baby doll”!  :0)
    God’s kingdom is surely an upside down kingdom when compared to this world’s idea of a “kingdom”.  The Lord is teaching our extended family (and us) on my husband’s side that even when God’s portion is to take a sweet baby girl home to be with Him there’s beauty, truth and grace to be found even in that.  Only in God’s kingdom can you find beauty out of the ashes of physical death and that’s what we are dealing with as November 10th marks the on year anniversary of Maddie’s home calling.  I remember Susanna talking to you and Joe about a year ago soon after it happened.  It’s hard to believe that it’s been a year.  Little Verity was in your belly and Moriah was a wee infant.  Now Verity here and Moriah is walking.  I’ve enjoyed using some of your really nicely worded thoughts of comfort …claiming the promises of God…to share them with my grieving sister in law.

9. Kristi says:

LOVE these pictures, Susanna. You are so beautiful, and so is she- my goodness! And that outfit. Perfection.