She doesn’t know it yet…

October 23rd, 2010

…but this little baby cupcake has lots of nursing practice ahead of her!

She’s been drinking her first morning bottle so fast–7 ounces in 35 minutes with a slow flow nipple–that for now I’ll just have her try nursing before that bottle.  The rest of the day, she takes about an hour to drink 6 ounces.  (A month ago, she took an hour to drink 3 ounces with a fast flow nipple, so she’s getting there!)

So far, she has shown me that she knows how to bite–YOUCH!  But I am thrilled that this time has finally come!

Any experienced advice, success stories, encouragement, or prayers on our behalf will be oh, so appreciated while we work at this!

8 Responses to “She doesn’t know it yet…”

1. Amy says:

Praying for you both!!

2. sabrina says:

I’m so excited for your chance to try nursing little Verity! I will most definitely keep praying!

3. Brandy says:

That’s just wonderful, Susanna!  I’ll be praying. :-)

4. Aunt Carol says:

This is so amazing.

5. Joy Horton says:

I can offer you encouragement and prayers (but have no exp. except with a newborn). If ANYONE can do this, you can, Susanna! I’m so proud of Verity (and you) for how far she’s come. It’s so amazing to hear the progress she’s made, largely b/c of YOU!!!

We pray for her every night, Susanna, and we will add this to it!

6. Ilisa says:

Lots and lots of prayers for success!

7. Alisa says:

Just stumbled upon your blog. When I nursed my now-seven year old with Down syndrome, the most helpful tool was a Medela nipple shield.  I would moisten it with some expressed milk first.  Helped my daughter to feel something in her mouth, and since she already understood the pacifier, she knew to suck on the nipple shield too, and voila, a nursing baby!  From the adorable pics of Verity, it looks like she gets the pacifier too, so a nipple shield might work well for the two of you!  Also, firm support under her chin, which my daughter also needed for bottle feeding.  Plus talking baby’s clothes off and stroking with wet washcloth baths to keep her awake, plus any other tricks I could think of to alert her.  Best of luck!

Thank you all!  Alisa, thank you for that good suggestion and for your story!

V. really has lost all her memory of how to nurse, even with the shield, so we both have our work cut out for us.  Her OT said she might not really “get it” until she is 7 or 8 months, so I’m not expecting any instant miracles.  (Although we’d be overjoyed to get one!  Lol!)

I am also battling frequent mastitis (woke up with it again today), and any hints as to how to keep that away would be lovely!

It means so much to me to know that many of you will be praying for these struggles!  Most of all, it seems, I need to be patient under trial!