Guess what this child can do?

October 27th, 2010

I know many of you have prayed that Verity will learn to nurse.  Well, guess what!  She’s been holding out on us!

She already can!

But she doesn’t know it yet, and ssssshhhhh, please don’t tell her!

You see, her trouble isn’t that she can’t, it’s that she doesn’t want to.  Not. one. bit.

Sad to say, she is already a hardened bottle user at only four months of age.  <sigh>  How did it come to this?

Well, well, leaving the sordid, tube-littered past behind us, we press on.  Since my clueless attempts at nursing were causing greater and greater outrage in my little bottle addict, I called a lactation consultant for help.  She kindly gave me a plan!  What a relief!

Basically, I hold Verity like a football, use a nursing shield, and do a quick bait-and-switch technique between the bottle and the shield, using a slender 1mL syringe as needed to inject a little reward for her efforts.

This morning we tried it for the first time.  A few more arms and hands would come in, uh, handy, but I’m making do with what I have for now.

At the first switch, she actually nursed for a millisecond before coming to her senses in horror and letting me know what she thought of that! Then she was on her guard against every underhanded switching attempt, and from there it quickly disintegrated into a battle.

So how do we know she can nurse??

Because she got so worn out from her fight that she fell asleep, whereupon I tried the big switch again.  She latched on just fine and nursed for about forty-five minutes in her sleep!

So while we’ll be praying that she will use her spunk to desire nursing instead of defending herself against it–we are thanking the Lord for her physical ability to handle it at all!  One hurdle behind us!!  YES!!!

So was yesterday just a rude burp interrupting the Sweet Tale of Our Sweet Babe?  No.  More on that later. <wink>

13 Responses to “Guess what this child can do?”

1. Misty says:

Little stinker! =)  Her pictures are SO adorable!!  I hope she comes to her senses soon and realizes that breastfeeding is so much easier for momma!

2. Joy Horton says:

Oh, I LOVE that you tried it while she was sleeping! You KNOW your baby!! I love that she did it in her sleep! Ha! When she thought nobody was looking! : )

Sweet baby! I can’t get over how much she looks like Laura!

3. Ann Bremer says:

Little stinker!  This sounds very familiar.  My son with DS was bottle fed until he was seven weeks old.  We started him on bottles in the hospital in an attempt to get out of the NICU more quickly.  Once we got home, he wanted nothing to do with the breast I think because he knew he could get it from the bottle more quickly.  I had all but given up on breastfeeding and wasn’t even trying anymore when I read about other moms of kids with DS who eventually got their kids to breastfeed.  I tried the very next day first thing in the morning when I was full so he wouldn’t have to work as hard, and my little stinker did great!  He was completely off bottles within a week and breastfed until he was 15 months old.  I remember using a nipple shield in the beginning but eventually got rid of that.  Go for it Verity!  You can do it girl!  (I think I posted this story one other time.  Sorry to bore you, but I hope it encourages you a little!)

4. Anna T says:

YEA!!  You’re making me laugh with her fighting you…  Thankfully the weekend will be here soon and maybe you can get an extra set of hands to help out.  If she’s nursing in her sleep, she’ll definitely “Get there Mommy” — yea!!  I’m praying for extra amounts of patience and perserverance for you!!

5. Marilyn Osborn says:

That is great news!  Praying that she’ll begin to nurse more and more!

6. Angiedawn says:

Wow!!!!!! That is just wonderful Susanna!!!!!! I am thrilled for the both of you! I am SURE that you will be successfull with this!!!

7. Ilisa says:

Ahh, I think you’re on to something.  It sounds like so many of my attempts with Calvin last month.  That is what lead me to my fear I talk about in today’s post.  You are an inspiration for me ;)

8. Sandie says:

What a smart girl she is!!  I love the pics of her:)  Precious!

9. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Maybe you could nurse her in her sleep at naptimes until she gets so used to it that she forgets to fight?  Or… I don’t know….  I’m happy with you that she did it at all!

And I love these pics!

10. sabrina says:

Sounds promising! I’ve loved all the recent pics of Verity. She’s just so very cute!

11. Wonderful and I pray she will continue to learn to like nursing over the bottle.

In our homeschool group there is a special little boy with DS.  He is also taking swimming lessons and he is such a joy to watch!  He is about 4 now and his face beams the whole time he is in the water.  He is laughing and talking and just having fun.  :)

Thank you all! Some of you already heard that Verity drank 3 ounces in her sleep last evening! Now this morning, she didn’t suck at all, but again, now we know SHE CAN!

Ann, I don’t remember that story, but it is VERY encouraging just now, BELIEVE ME!  V. getting to the point of nursing looks like more of a miracle to me than adopting!  She is a little fighter!  But I know God can change her baby mind as well as He can provide $$$!

13. Stacy says:

I love this post. It was very similar to what we experienced with our first daughter, also born with Down Syndrome. AND I love your hope and perseverance. Awesome. My hope, is that more Moms in similar situations will read it and be inspired by the possibilities, instead of discouraged by a lack of support. Thank you!