First big milestone!!!

October 6th, 2010

She did it two times during our date night last night, and again when I tested her this morning, so I guess it really is true!  When Verity is lying on her back, and I have her look straight ahead at my face, then take her hands and pull her straight up to a sitting position, at 14 1/2 weeks old she can now hold her head level with her body!!!

That is HUGE!!!  It makes me happy enough to cry!!!

You know how it is to watch a movie that shows an underdog with all the odds stacked against them, like the team in the movie “Facing the Giants?” You watch them work at least twice as hard as the bigger, stronger teams.  You hope against hope that they don’t give up.  After holding your breath as they face and overcome hurdle after hurdle, there is nothing in the world quite like the euphoria of watching them win!  Well, it’s better in real life with your own child whom you love!

Why don’t they tell parents like us, “Your child has an extra chromosome.  Expect to fall head over heels!  Expect to be delighted by things you never gave much thought to before!  Expect to see another dimension to life that you probably missed up until now!”

I’d take and post pictures today, but all my extra non-pumping time is going to Verity’s appointment with the eye specialist.  But when we can, we’ll work on capturing her remarkable feat of strength!

We’re celebrating!!!

11 Responses to “First big milestone!!!”

1. TracyMenard says:

Tears here too. They definitely should be saying those words to families blessed in such a special way. :)

2. Joy Horton says:

I am celebrating along with you, Susanna! That is so exciting! GO VERITY!!!! Please give her a million kisses (really fast) on each cheek from me!! This is SO joyous!!!!!!!

3. Alice says:

Doing the happy dance with you and Verity today!!

4. Ruth Einfeld says:

Susanna – that is awesome!  Each milestone will be amazing…and sometimes each step towards a milestone as well.  I was amazed at how we had to learn with Esther the different parts of learning to do things and how instead of “learning to roll over” there is learning to push up with one leg, then learning to reach across the body, then learning to bring the head back…etc…each small step is a milestone for these little ones.
    What I love best is seeing our other children cheer for Esther when she learns something new – it might be something as small as signing “more” or recently, learning to look for a person when asked (where’s Daddy)!  So celebrate even the little things (like that she had to learn to look straight ahead before she could learn to hold her head steady while being lifted!  So, in a way, this isn’t her first milestone, it’s probably closer to her 3rd or 4th…it’s just considered a first milestone for typically developing children who are able to look straight ahead in just the first week or two, or maybe not even a milestone at that!!
    All that said – I am so happy for your family and Verity that she is doing so well in so many areas and that you are finding encouragement in the little things as well!

Ruth

Thank you for being happy with us, everyone!! :D

Ruth, I agree with you!  She’s gradually progressing in many small ways.  This one just happens to be a can/can’t type of skill, so it’s more dramatic than “holding her head up for ten seconds longer than she did two weeks ago,” know what I mean?  We’ll celebrate every bit of progress she makes, esp. in her weak areas like physical, and not compare her with others.  So I guess we’re going by the Verity milestone chart! :D

6. Sandie says:

You should see my gang everytime Christopher does something new.  Sometimes he is distracted by their cheering!
    Every milestone is reason to celebrate, it never gets old!

7. Stephanie Blanchard says:

Well, I should learn to not read your blog in the middle of the night by now… My yelp almost woke up my household! Yippee, Verity! I am so happy for you and your family and can’t wait to see it!

8. Sabrina says:

Way to go, Verity!!

9. Marilyn Osborn says:

That is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Hi Susanna, I am reading your blog during the times of Verity’s birth and early life.  Your writing and faith renew my soul.  I like this post because of the hugeness (weird word) of her accomplishment and how much joy it brings  to you.  I have a child with a disability (arthrogryposis, affecting joints resulting in motor function delays).  I could totally understand your excitement!  When everything was so hard, those teeny tiny accomplishments which are taken for granted by others gave me such joy and hope.   I think it was a real lesson in how God was using that little girl to reveal his glory to me.  My daughter is now 25.  You would think that those feelings were fond memories, but they come back as so real and present when I read this post.  Thanks for the memories.