Are you two out of your minds?

October 29th, 2010

You mean more than we already were?  Hahaha!

There are gargantuan obstacles that stand between our family and a child with Down syndrome facing a hopeless future in an institution.  We know.

Money, money, money.  Yes, we know.

But you see, money doesn’t scare us.  We just watched God provide for Verity’s medical needs.  At least ten times the amount we would need for adoption expenses.  It was enough to buy a bigger house outright.  And He did it outside the usual channels!

Adoption may be years down the road, years of hard work.  We know that, too.

There are other barriers.

But what has He already done?

He has given us a love for children, and a desire to use our lives to care for the ones He sends us.

He has equipped us in every way for the hard work He has given us up until now, giving us confidence that He will continue to do so.

He is teaching us the beautiful language of Down syndrome, up close and personal.

He has proven Himself mighty on our behalf through intense difficulties.

He has removed our fear.  First in slow little bits and pieces and then in one sudden fell swoop.

He has opened our eyes to a certain reality and made us care about it.  We simply aren’t hesitant and afraid that God might not want us to do anything on behalf of these powerless ones, after He has given us this strong and specific passion for them.  More on that when the words come together.  There is so much and we’re still learning the language.

All this He has done, and more.

We don’t believe God plays dumb mind games with His people to make His will complicated and mysterious.  We are resting confidently in the knowledge that He wants to show us His will.  He will reveal it to us.  No worries that we’ll accidentally miss it.  He will open some doors and close other ones.  We are ready and willing to walk through every door He opens for us, and we’re walking up to the doors.

That means we are doing the next thing.  Fathering and mothering our children.  Designating a savings account to be our Family Adoption Fund.  Keeping the household on track.  Teaching Verity to nurse.  Investing in valuable relationships, including those with our children!  Researching adoption.  Educating our children.

And on all counts we are eager to see what God will do next!

18 Responses to “Are you two out of your minds?”

1. sabrina says:

In a way when we choose to live the life of faith we are out of our minds. May we always be out of our own minds and into His.
    I love hearing about your walk of faith. It is such a testimony and encouragement!

2. Felicity says:

Susanna, I have a heart for adoption, but I also don’t know how or when…  I just know what’s in my heart, and keep trusting that if and when, the Lord will open doors, and move in mighty ways.  Until then, I too keep on doing what has been given to me to do, loving the 6 blessings He has sent us.
    I look forward to following more of your family!

3. Marilyn Osborn says:

Beautiful!  :)

4. Ashley says:

How exciting!!! My parents, too, have adoption on their mind but money is the only thing stopping us. So maybe sometime in the future :) Do you have your mind on a certain child?

5. Ilisa says:

I think if your family was ready to take that leap, others right here (us) would support you in an adoption fund.

6. stephanie says:

We want to adopt also, but need a mighty miracle to be able to. I am hanging on your every word in your posts. They give me strength and hope for us. The obstacles that stand in our way are more than we can handle . but they are nothing for God.

Thanks!

It’s exciting to see others with this vision, too!  Any of you know about http://www.pathwaysforlittlefeet.org?  Or other ministries like it?

Ashley, we’re not that far down the path yet!  We still have questions for Reece’s Rainbow to see if we can go through them, or if God has a different agency in mind for us.  We’re in the information-gathering stage–drinking it all in!

Ilisa, what a precious thing to say.  Thank you, sister in Christ!

8. Angela in MT says:

I think it is soooooo awesome!!  Your writing is such a blessing Susanna!!!

9. Aunt Carol says:

Go for it , Susanna.  If the Lord’s in it, He’ll lead and supply.   If I were younger, I would sure be looking into it.

10. Marilyn Osborn says:

I just read your title again and thought….”Yes, they are…they’ve adopted the mind of Christ instead!”  PTL!

11. Andrea Mann says:

Susanna,
       As a mama of one adopted girly, with a heart for as many more as God would like to bring…and especially with special needs…I have TONS of information filed away whenever your family are ready.  There are so many places that do adoption grants specifically for international, with special needs, or other races, for Christians adopting and so on.  I know I have the list somewhere, and if you google adoption grants with any of the words that fit your particular calling (international etc.) you may be blown away by how much people want to help you.
    I can also give you a few things we did personally to help offset the cost.  There are a lot of “little” money things God did along the way to bless us.  I don’t want to take over your whole comment section, but if you would like to hear more of that part I would love to share it sometime.
    I get very excited and passionate about adoption. :)

Andrea Mann
    atohelet@gmail.com

Andrea, YES!  We are ALL EARS whenever you’re ready to tell us more!  You can talk here if you like (making it available to others), or email us and I can post what is public information, or some combination of these!

Your comment brought tears to my eyes!

13. Anna T says:

Yes, you are out of your minds in “our Worlds” view, but, to Jesus, you are MORE than in your right mind as you follow His will for your lives!!  The following verse keeps coming to mind, “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.”  1 Corinthians 1:27 (NIV)

Also, a few years ago I had the priviledge of hearing the Hearts at Home founder, Jill Savage, speak about her families adoption of a boy from Russia.  She was the one that talked about “God selling one cow, because He owns the cows on a thousand hills” (from Psalm 50:10,  pharaphrased).   She tells a little about her story at this link:  http://www.hearts-at-home.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1344:kolyas-adoption-into-the-savage-family&catid=133:author-posts&Itemid=143

What I took away the most from her was that she immediately **knew** that her son belonged to them when she saw his picture and she “argued” with God all day about it, however, when she showed the picture to her husband that evening, her husband said, He could be our son, he looks like our boys! and they were on the way to adopting Kolya.  I didn’t know that November is Adoption Awareness Month…

As an aside for me personally, would you please post some “tips” on how you manage your family?  I can’t wrap my mind around what you cook for dinner, etc…  Or, maybe you have a few web-sites that would be helpful, maybe Helpful Tip Thursdays, or, something like that?  I don’t have enough young children to be a part of MOMYS, but, would love to learn more : ) !!  Thanks!!

14. Anna T says:

Sorry for one more comment, but, I feel it may be important to “have”.

A mom at this blog, http://waitingforreese.blogspot.com/  stated the following about the “cost”:   “So, it is likely her adoption (including travel expenses) could cost about $15,000 before additional grants, fundraisers, and tax credits available! I hate when people say that the financial obligation is what is keeping them from adopting. If that is you, please contact me because most people do not know the tricks to making adoption doable financially!”

This may be something to keep in mind, especially when the amount that she states (after adopting a child from the Ukraine through Reece’s Rainbow) is significantly less…

15. I’m giddy with excitement about this path that God is leading you down.  You know our adoption story and my heart for orphans.  I can’t wait to watch the journey unfold.  (((HUGS)))

Anna, you are VERY welcome to join Momys as a Not Quite Momys (NQM) and that way you can glean from the collective experience of hundreds of Momys.  You would be able to post to some forums and not others, but you can read anywhere on the site, I believe.  There are many NQM’s–you would not be alone!  I asked the other Momys to recommend some helpful websites or blogs about home management, and they did come up with a list for you, but we all agree we would love to see you join us!

(I haven’t taken time to check any of these myself, so here they are as they were given to me.)

Life in a shoe

Flylady

Large Family Logistics

savingdinner

organizedhome.com

thefamilyhomestead.com

raisinghomemakers.com

ladyofvirtue.blogspot.com

walkingwithsarah.blogspot.com

shesintouch

Here’s another one~

raisingolives.com

18. Anna T says:

Thank you Susanna!!  I’m familure with Flylady and will have to check out the rest : ) !!