When I look at her face

September 28th, 2010

I don’t see something missing, something imperfect, something wrong.

I don’t see someone who is less than our other children.

Different from?

Less than?

Down syndrome is not only a list of challenges.  It is also a set of strengths.  Verity is just another unique individual God put into our family, with her own challenges and her own strengths.

I would have mentally assented with the statement that a child with Down syndrome is precious to God and her parents.  But something in me still wondered if I would see Verity as someone who would be improved by changing her.

Would it be hard to accept her as she is?  Would I view her as lacking?

Other parents told me, “No.”

I get it now.

11 Responses to “When I look at her face”

1. Mandy says:

Susanna, thank you so much for starting this blog. I’m a first time mommy, and my husband and I are expecting our little girl to arrive in late November. She has a complete A/V canal defect as well as Down syndrome. Your post “If your baby needs open heart surgery” was like a breath of fresh air, because it brought a sensitive, human element to all that we are facing on the road ahead. It’s so good to hear from others who have walked through these waters. May you be richly blessed by the Lord on this journey and receive a double portion for sharing your heart and life with those of us who are coming behind you.

2. I see.  :)  Wish I could portray tone, should I say better write, “I SEE!”  :D
    I see, that she is so fearfully and wonderfully made, precious, perfect, beautiful!

3. Lisa says:

Oh how this picture made me smile and then tear up!  She is so beautiful!

4. Anna T says:

I’m borrowing the words from a blog that I read when I was pregnant, “…perfect because of, not in spite of Down Syndrome.”  Yes, “…all the days ordained for Verity, were written in God’s book before one of the came to be.  How precious to me are your thoughts, O God, how vast is the sum of them, were I to count them they would outnumber the grains of sand.” (adapted from Psalm 139)  I love her big smiles, her face lights up!!  I’m praying for you and your sweet family!!  How neat that the lady visited you in your last blog post, I added the video to my “Wish List”!!  I LOVE meeting older people with Ds, they almost always want to hold Jacob and make a big fuss over him, so cute!

5. Stephanie Blanchard says:

I love reading your thoughts and Ihave never ever doubted how much you love sweet Verity! Her smile takes up her whole face and I love it!

6. Sandie says:

A relative wanted to bring his pastor to our house to pray “for Christopher’s healing”.  We told them not to come, as we do not believe Down syndrome is something that needs healing.  It is a part of what makes our son who he is.  In our minds, it would be like asking to be healed of blue eyes and blond hair.  That extra chromosome makes him *more* precious to us, not less, and I see that same look in your eyes, Susanna, when you look at Verity, and hear the same feelings in the words you use here.

7. Marilyn Osborn says:

Huge smile on my face!  That is the most ADORABLE picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love your heart, Susanna….L. O. V. E. it!

8. Patti says:

sweetest picture ever!!

9. Joy Horton says:

Precious post, Susanna. That pic is MELTY!!!

10. You are always such an inspiration to me.  Verity is so blessed to have you for her mama.  She is so beautiful and perfect.

11. Barb Murphy says:

Wonderful thoughts from you and a darling picture of Verity!  I also thought the picture of the three sisters was exquisite.