Slow and Steady

September 8th, 2010

Slow and steady are desirable traits, are they not?  Well, we’re thanking the Lord for several slow-and-steady sorts of blessings tonight!

One, I didn’t intend to write about Verity’s first occupational therapy session today.  I wasn’t expecting much.

But I like this therapist a lot and am looking forward to learning more from her.

Not just because I found out that she’s had thirty years of experience and specializes in feeding issues.

Not just because she said that she will 100% support our breastfeeding goal.

Not just because she was truthful and acknowledged that that goal could be a very long way off.

Not just because she was good at teaching.

Not just because she thought I’d been doing a good job with Verity already.

Not just because she said she’d be impressed with Verity’s skills even if there hadn’t been an open heart surgery less than six weeks ago.

Not just because she was a genuinely nice lady.

Not just because she was friendly to our other children all gathered as an audience, or because she called me blessed.

And of course, not just because she obviously liked my baby!

But all those things certainly help!!

Two, I weighed Verity this evening, and the scales showed that she had gained 4 ounces in this past week!  Right up over the line into the acceptable range of one half to one ounce per day!  Even the secretary at the Clinic was excited to hear this news!  What I didn’t want to mention on this blog earlier was that I have the supplies on hand to insert another NG tube if she had lost too much weight.  This was a trial period, not a final chapter.  These past few days I’ve been fighting the temptation to weigh her, certain that she was looking a bit thinner!  We are rejoicing that she passed this test!!

And one more small blessing!  I’m dropping the late night pumping, so I should be able to get about seven hours of straight sleep every night now!  Hallelujah!

I heard a few mutterings about Verity pics, and I know I’ve been a slacker there, but there are so many obstacles, it seems, to getting good pictures.  For instance…

What happens when Mama wants to take pictures and Verity wants to sleep?

12 Responses to “Slow and Steady”

1. Verity is beautiful and I love pics of sleeping babies, they are so peaceful.  I love watching my little ones, although work is usually calling to me.  LOL

2. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

I am SO happy with you about more sleep for YOU!!!!!!!  Yes, Hallelujah!!!!!

3. Ilisa says:

Keep up the HARD and great work.  Breastmilk is best and she is proving to being doing wonderful with what you’re doing.  Instead of the NJ tube if she was loosing, do you fortify at all?  We fortify Cal’s food with .5 tsp light olive oil per bottle…just a thought.  I want to help you reach your goal of breastfeeding as it’s my goal as well.  Cal is 7 weeks and we’re not close :(  It makes me very sad sometimes.  Don’t give up!  She’s looking and sounding wonderful!

4. Sabrina says:

Oh, she is SO, SO cute! Yay! on the weight gain! So happy that you have a good OT!

5. Janns says:

So cute how she holds her pacifier. She’s getting some nice baby chub on those little arms! :)

6. Rebecca says:

Oh Praise God for small blessings (the therapist+sleep).  And wonderful news about the weight gain!  :)  She’s such a lovely baby, simply beautiful!
    (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

Rebecca in Alberta

7. Stephanie Blanchard says:

Oh hooray! I’m so happy about her gain! Slow and steady, keep on keeping on. Her therapist sounds like a dream! And more sleep for you is a direct answer to prayer from our house for you!

8. Anna T says:

YEA!!  An OT that is a feeding specialist AND supportive of BFing (woo, hoo!!)!!  Also, Verity is gaining with the bottle AND you are getting more sleep…terrific news all around!!  Thank you Jesus!!  I’m continuing to pray for you!!

9. jennifer76 says:

She is beautiful!  Love the pictures, what a sweetie!

10. Joy Horton says:

Killing me softly with her CUTENESS!!!! Oh, those pics of her sleeping with her little “bink” in her mouth are absolutely PRECIOUS!!!

I’m willing to forego pics of Verity if it will avoid the first picture scenario – for both you and her! And I LOVE seeing pics of her. Maybe you can just sneak them off of her when she’s sleeping peacefully  ??

SO OVERJOYED that you’ll be able to get SO MUCH (for a Momys, eh?) sleep now!!!! That’s WONDERFUL!!!

Love you, my dear friend.

11. Shannon says:

So very precious!

12. Marilyn Osborn says:

Wonderful news and she is breathtakingly precious!!!!!!!!!!