So, how do I look?

August 30th, 2010

Mommy and I are both smiling.

We like Doctor D. Holmes Morton.  We like Nurse Donna, too.

First the doctor told Mommy all the good reasons why I don’t need that tube anymore.

~The tube causes reflux by keeping the hole into my tummy open.  That burning feeling might make me not want to eat very much.

~The tube might bother my throat when I swallow.  That would make me not want to eat very much, too.

~I have shown that I can drink enough.  In fact, I finished up a 95 mL bottle right before Dr. Morton’s very eyes.  (Two hours after I started it.)

~My heart is fixed, so it’s not needing extra energy.

~If I get a feeding pump, I’ll never get rid of the tube, says Dr. Morton.  Daddy and Mommy are so grateful that He kept them from getting the pump last weekend.  Sometimes God provides by taking away a need!

~I’m up near the top of the Down syndrome height and weight charts.  Daddy and Mommy and Dr. Morton and Nurse Donna are all quite sure I will not shrivel away to nothing.

The nurse listened to the doctor giving all these reasons for pulling the tube.  She heard Mommy say that she absolutely agreed with this common sense.  The nurse quietly took the socks off my hands to see if I wanted to pull it out myself.

But I didn’t, so Mommy and the nurse did it for me.

Dr. Morton said Mommy should not keep calling the cardio nurse with my weights.  He will “run interference” for Mommy with Dr. Chowdhury.  While they fight it out, I will show everyone what I can do.

Mommy is only supposed to let me drink for half an hour, and then make me wait about four hours.  (Unless I cry pitiably before then, of course.)  They just want me to get hungry enough to want to work at this.

Mommy will also keep stimulating the nerves in and around my mouth, and will help me work my mouth muscles like her friend told her to on the phone last night.

Oh yes, I’m taking medicine for that infection in my incision.  I’m also taking Maxi Baby-dophilus to keep the rest of me healthy while I’m taking the medicine.  And Mommy will wash my sore place with Epsom salts.

Now do you know what Mommy and I are smiling about tonight?

Thank you, God, for lifting our burden.

38 Responses to “So, how do I look?”

1. Marilyn Osborn says:

Joyfilled tears, my friend!!!!!!!! JOY-FILLED!!!!!!!!! Thank you JESUS!!!!!!!!

2. Marilyn Osborn says:

Oh,….and how DOES she look…well….juuuust precious!!!!!!!!

3. JenK says:

Wonderful!  Praise the Lord!  Show us how you can get all your food like a big girl, Verity! :)

4. Grandpop says:

Oh Verity, you are a gorgeous baby!  …and a fine writer, as well. We’re excited  about the new agenda you have waiting for you, and look forward to hearing how you like it, and to reports about how you progress without the tube, and with longer periods between feedings.  I’m praying for you and for your wonderful family. May the LORD bless you and continue to keep you…

5. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Verity, you look WONDERFUL!!  That tube wasn’t your best accessory, necessary as it was.  Your sweet face looks great without it!!!

6. Denise says:

BEAUTIFUL!!!  So beautiful!!

I am so happy for you AND your mommy!!!  Oh Verity– you are such a blessing– and you have touched more lives than you will probably ever know!!

I am just SOOOO happy for you!!!

What a difference a day makes, huh?

Continuing to pray!!

7. sabrina says:

HOORAY!!!! She looks beautiful! Rejoicing and praising our Great and Mighty God with you today.

8. Anna T says:

YEA!!!  Continued prayers for you and sweet Verity, go girl, show everyone that you CAN do it (woo, hoo!)! BTW, Jacob was in the 10 — 25% on the Ds charts at 9 months old, so, I’m a little envious of Verity’s size (LOL!)!  None of my babies are this “small”, just kidding, I am really enjoying that he’s staying smaller longer.  OK, enough about me, I am soo excited that Verity doesn’t have her tube and I’m waiting for updates on how she’s doing.  Also, you’ve mentioned her arching her back a few times and that **may** also be a sign of reflux (just a thought).   Blessings to you and your beautiful family!!

9. LaurieP says:

How do you look…..just stunning baby girl!!!!!  She is truly lovely and we are praising God at all her progress and His gracious hand at work.

10. Kristi says:

She is SO cute, Susanna!!!!

11. What  a sweet little face!!!  Praise the Lord that the tube is out!!

12. Ruth Einfeld says:

Susanna,
    Things are going so well for Verity!  And you are having the same struggles I did trying to find a new normal.  Let me just say this….a break from homeschooling will not be detrimental to your children in the least…ask the Lord what your priorities should be and follow His leading and He will give you the exact amount of grace to do exactly what He wants you to accomplish that day.
    And a little thing about pumping…I faithfully pumped for Esther for nearly 5 months, but the older I have gotten, the less milk I have produced, and when I came home with Esther and began to be mother to my other children, I just simply dried up….but I know that those 4 1/2 months of getting at least some breastmilk was the best thing I did for her…but I came to the point where pumping for Esther was not as important as caring for my family who had been without a mother for over 5 months…
    Lastly, Esther didn’t gain hardly ANYTHING for about 3 months as her little heart was healing, but in the next three months she packed on a whopping 12 pounds!!!!  That is not a typo – she weighed 11 lbs 14 oz when she was released after her heart surgery, and 3 months later she weighed 12 lb 4 oz, then 3 months after that she weighed 24 pounds!!!!  She had turned into a veritable butter ball…so be patient with her as so much of her energy is still focused on her heart, only on healing now instead of staying alive.
    I’d love to talk with you if you think that would be helpful. I have free long distance, so send me an email with your phone number if you would like me to call you!
    Blessings,
    Ruth

13. Felicity says:

Verity – you look simply gorgeous!!!

14. Ashley says:

She’s looking great!

15. Ilisa says:

I am crying, I am so happy for you Verity!  They are taking care of you and you will do wonderful.  Tell your mommy that she will be okay, that you will be okay!  God IS Good!

16. Ilisa says:

Stimulate her throat and neck too and get her crying and opening up and using those muscles inside her throat.  Suck on pacifiers and fingers, get those lips going!  Yay!

17. Janns says:

Very sweet and maybe a bit mischievous, too! My little Peter will be so happy to see your new picture.

18. joyce says:

You look like a beautiful healthy baby girl! Thank you JESUS! Continue the healing you’ve begun.

Thank you for being happy with us, everyone!!

Ruth, I’m looking forward to chatting with you one of these days! :)  The pumping is not the time-consuming part of the feeding process.  What’s taken so long is Verity’s drinking.  Usually I pump for 10 minutes every 3 hours during the day.  The past few days, I’ve been pumping 20 minutes to bring my supply back up.  When I say my supply dropped, that means I saw it fall from being 2 to 4 times what Verity is drinking, to less than 2 times what she is drinking.  All the extra milk at this point is going to feed a friend’s baby, who is the same age as Verity, but has a bigger appetite. I can see the amount increasing again already.  My LC with the twins said that if I had ever fully bf a baby, my body was able to handle it, and that a lower supply with any subsequent babies reflected stress levels and increasing busy-ness (less rest, sleep, food, fluids), and not increasing age.  A former family dr. also told us that babies don’t actually need more than their mother’s milk for their first two years, it’s just that hardly any modern women in our culture have lifestyles that allow their bodies to produce a sufficient amount.  Interesting, huh!?

20. Claudia says:

oh my!! she is sooo precious!!!

21. Angiedawn says:

You look absolutely beautiful baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooo happy to read this!!!!!!!!!

22. jennifer76 says:

What a doll!  Oh I am so happy!  Praise God, how wonderful!!!!!  (((hugs)))

23. Betsy says:

WOW! Thanking God once again for what we thought was unanswered prayer. How dare we?! Forgive us please. When we rest in His sovereignty life is so much easier to accept and just look at the Blessings He pours down! She looks just as precious as always but PTL no sticky tape on that kissable cheek. Much more room for smooching. Thank you God!! Continuing to Uphold ALL of you in our prayers!

24. Joan Crick says:

She looks absolutely adorable! Praise the Lord for turning difficulties into rejoicing so quickly!

25. Lara Font says:

you look beautiful!!  yeah Verity!!!  and Momma!  God is good!

26. Joy Horton says:

I canNOT believe what a fluent thinker and writer you are, Verity! Maybe *I* should add some of that fortifier to MY food! ; ) BTW, you look ADORABLE (with or without the tube).

I am HEAD OVER HEELS rejoicing with you, Susanna!  I am just overjoyed that sweet little Verity is no longer sweating, laboring to breathe (ugh!), and that she is now off the tube! PRECIOUS BABY!!!!!

Thank you for this post – what rejoicing this calls for!

Oh! Thank you, again. This is just awesome, wonderful news!!!!!!!!

PLEASE give those sweet cheekies kisses from me!!!!

27. Aunt Carol says:

Praise the Lord!  She is adorable and looks so alert!

28. Maria (assistantcoach) says:

Beautiful!  Precious baby girl!  Jesus loves you so!

29. Susan Wiker says:

I have had to be off the computer – I think it is now fixed. :) Your journey is such a blessing to read even when it is hard. THANK you for your willingness to share the good and bad of this time. Verity you are a beautiful precious child of God. We all have grown to love you. Susanna – May God continue to give you and Joe wisdom beyond yourselves and strength to continue to run this course. I PRAY daily for you all. Love, Susan

30. allison (christianmomoflots) says:

Crying tears of joy and praising His holy name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been praying for you all!!! So glad the tube can come out!!! We will be praying!!!

Here at our house we always talk about how beautiful Verity is!!!!

31. Stephanie Blanchard says:

Praise God! I haven’t been able to check in from my phone and my computer time has been limited greatly. I do always find it interesting that Solomon wakes at night, and I use my nursing time to pray for your family and Verity and then I find out that the prayers were very much needed!

32. Sandie says:

The pic of Verity with no feeding tube cheered me up today!  Who can feel sad when they open an email and see that gorgeous face?!

33. cindy says:

Praise the Lord  inch by inch, step by step,  He guides and provides.

34. My girls were so happy for Verity… and I’m so happy for both of you. God is good!!! We’ll still be praying for all of you of course. Give that sweet girl a snuggle for all of us out here in blogland! :)

35. I think I am the only guy who comments on your posts with the exception of your father, (or mine)!  I am out numbered 1,000 to two!  :)
    BTW, thanks for all your updates, I check your blog everyday.

36. Sandie says:

I showed Verity’s picture to my kids this morning.  They were so excited about how beautiful she looks!!  Lots of “Awwwww”  and “soooo cute” expressions!
    Now you can spend your time kissing both of those cheeks!!

37. Danielle M. says:

Hooray for baby Verity!!!! What an exciting milestone!  I pray that infection clears up soon.  We love Maxi baby-dophilus here too!  We have used it alot with Asher.  Verity looks even sweeter without the tube, and just knowing what a health improvement it is, makes it all the better.
    Praising God with you!

38. Aunt Erma says:

Praise the Lord!     She is indeed most beautiful!  What a sweetheart.   I rejoice with you all!