Just two days ago…

August 14th, 2010

…I told the evaluator from Early Intervention that Verity couldn’t bring her hands together in front of her face, and that she couldn’t coo.

God must have decided we needed a little encouragement today, because that’s what He gave us!

This afternoon, she started cooing up a storm, and take a look at these pictures!  I did make her practice putting her hands together over and over the past two days (“Hands!  Hands!  Those are your hands, Verity!”), but maybe that’s a coincidence?  I’m too ignorant to know which is the case, but we surely are excited and proud of her!

And to top it all off, she drank her whole supper bottle for the first time!  All 90 mLs of it!!  Nothing left to go through the tube!  Okay, it took her an hour and a half, but by gum, I was giving her a chance to finish, since she stayed awake the whole time.  And believe it or not, she drank that bottle with NO chin or cheek support!  She was doing worse and worse taking her milk by mouth, until on a hunch I began feeding her in a nursing hold, since her favorite way to fall asleep is in that position, sucking vigorously on a pacifier.

So wherever she heads from here, at least we know she can! One of the blessings of this Down syndrome journey is that we are appreciating the small things a lot more than we did before!

16 Responses to “Just two days ago…”

1. Denise says:

Oh Susanna– i am so happy for you!!!

I was a bit concerned to be honest– about what the EI people were expecting from such a LITTLE girl who was SOOOO ill for the first weeks of life– let alone only having MAJOR heart surgery less than 2 weeks ago!!   Of course she will be a “little” behind– but now that she is HEALTHY and eating– and resting, and BREATHING–  I am SURE she will be doing WONDERFULLY!!!

All children are so different– when my oldest had EI– I always hated those “check lists”– my kids are just always late with EVERYTHING– but by 2 they are always “caught up” to “normal”.

I will continue to pray– and pray that God will give you and Joe wisdom– on this new journey —-

((((hugs))))

2. jennifer76 says:

That is so wonderful!!!  What a little sweetheart! I really love seeing her pictures and seeing how she has grown, thank you for sharing :).  We at the Hotchkiss household are very proud of you Verity and so thankful to God for all you are doing!!

3. Marilyn Osborn says:

Praise the Lord!  (We seem to say that a lot on this blog, huh?  :)

Thanks for the great news and the adorable pictures.  LOVE IT ALL!

4. Susan Wiker says:

Small things are big blessing from our Heavenly Father.  I am so blessed to follow your journey with this dear little girl.  I will pray for wisdom and strenth as you and Joe move forward with her.

5. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Great news!  Praise the Lord!

I love seeing all the sisters together, too.  : )

6. Joy Horton says:

GOOD GIRL, VERITY! Aunt Joy is SO very proud of you!!!! You are SO beautiful!

Thank you, Susanna, for posting these sweet pictures! Melting my heart!!!!

7. Janelle says:

Woohoo!!  How wonderful.

8. Wonderful news!  I love following along and hearing about the little achievements that mean so much!

Oh and my girls wanted me to pass along a little note:

“She is SOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!” -Julianne, 4.

“Look at those cheeks!  I want to just kiss them!”  -DeLainey, 7.

Prayers are still going up from the Blanchard family!

9. allison (christianmomoflots) says:

Precious, precious, precious, Verity is so very precious and adorable! I don’t know how you can ever put her down! Thanks so much for those sweet pictures!! We look forward to our daily dose of Verity! And we even have our own little bitty baby!  PTL over her sucess! WOOHOO! You go Verity!!!

10. Just checking in on you guys & was SO thrilled to see Verity’s beautiful eyes! She looks so plump Susanna! You have been such an inspiration to ALL of us! We love you & pray for you always!

11. Ilisa says:

Hi, I have been following your blog…I have a 3 week old son with Ds and who will also need OHS.  I am particularly interested in your journey to nurse Verity.  I am in a similar situation and wanted to throw this out to you (sorry if you answered somewhere, I have just read the past month or so’s entries): aspirating…could it be that Verity is doing that?  My little one does and he wouldn’t take a whole bottle.  Now I’m pumping and storing it all as he has thickened formula.  It is a bummer…also, we use a Mam bottle – just a thought.  I’m praying for you and look forward to all the advances Verity makes as she heals from her surgery.

12. sabrina says:

She looks like such a big girl! She’s like a brand new Verity now that her heart is fixed. It’s going to be so fun watching her grow and reach her milestones in her own time.

Ilisa (beautiful name, by the way), I’ve wondered if she is aspirating, because of some of her symptoms.  That is something I should bring up with the two drs. tomorrow.  Thank you for writing!

14. Anna T says:

YEA!!  You will definitely celebrate and notice the small things more!!  What a bright-eyed girl!!

15. Stefani Heustis says:

She is SO BIG compared to Sarah!  LOL!  She is looking so great.  It took Sarah a couple of weeks to get her hands together a lot after her surgery.  The chest muscles were cut for goodness sake and her sternum was cut and wired shut!  I didn’t want her doing that right away.  The thought… OUCH!  She is going to leap and bound forward now, but she will always have her own way and timing of doing things.  DS children do.  It’s ok and yes it is wonderful to slow down and *cherish* the milestones, every single achievement because these babies work so much harder for the smallest of things.  Success is SO sweet!  Sarah is finally putting her hands up to me to be picked up!  That only took 14 months to happen!  LOL!

She’s gonna bless your socks off!