Waiting

July 19th, 2010

(This is Joseph.  This update would’ve come much earlier than this ungodly hour but for several standoffs with equally ungodly but undeniable skunks blocking our front door.  Not to mention a subsequent longer standoff with a single ‘skunk’ which was strangely tolerant of my attempts to dislodge it, and turned out to be our cat.)

Verity’s heart failure is under control.  The IV worked and if I understand correctly, she’s now taking the Lasix orally instead of intravenously.   Her breathing is good and she’s perking up.  But she is still not eating nearly enough or gaining nearly enough weight.  The doctors said they will not release her while she’s taking in less than 16 ounces a day.

We are all confused about what the plan is for Verity.  Mom has been hearing many conflicting ideas from the various doctors.  NG tube or no NG tube?  Other medications?  High calorie oil?  Surgery sooner/later/now?  We’re hoping that when the doctors make their rounds tomorrow there will be a clarifying consultation.
(Mom wanted me to point out:  An NG (naso-gastric) tube is a feeding tube that runs from the nose to the stomach.)

Mom was very glad for two certain visitors:  her husband and her dad.  They also brought some needed items from our house, most notable to Mom, her hymnal!
Mom was also very glad to see a dear friend of hers who gave Mom wagonfull of food – all sorts of goodies and high-energy foods!  Mom will not have to buy (or eat) hospital fare.  But she said that the best part was the visit!

Mom is going on very little sleep.  To summarize last night’s sleep: 30 minutes, an hour and a half, and 45 minutes.  All separated by significant amounts of time and each quite broken up with interruptions.  I was astonished at how well she seems to be doing in spite of the lack of sleep.  She can tell that God is upholding her; the joy of the Lord is being her strength.  She is very grateful and appreciative of all your prayers.  She is reading all the comments and missing everyone very, very much.

All the children are currently staying at our grandparents’ house, conveniently adjacent to our property.

Pictures are being taken at the hospital, and I’ll upload them if or when I can get my hands on them.  I’ll be updating with more news as soon as possible, probably late tomorrow morning.  Late this morning, I should say.

I’m writing at an ungodly hour due to a standoff with equally ungodly but undeniable skunks blocking our door, and a later and longer standoff with a single ‘skunk’ which was strangely tolerant of my attempts to move it, and turned out to be our cat.

6 Responses to “Waiting”

1. Samantha says:

Just checking in to see how little Verity and Susanna are doing.  Thanks for updating, Joseph.  The story of the “skunk” gave my husband and me a good laugh!  We will be praying for you all.

Jason and Samantha Atwell

2. Yvonda says:

Wanted to say that I got the news later yesterday evening and have been praying for you, thinking of you through the night.  I’m sure of God’s character, and I know He is faithful, and He knows exactly what the days ahead hold for you all.  If there is any way we can help, please do not hesitate to call us.
    Love,
    the Groffs

3. Denise says:

Continuing to pray— and you ALL are very much in our hearts/minds…..

Please remember if Susanna needs anything let me know…I’m glad she had food taken to her, I was thinking about doing that today— but I’ll just hold tight and wait to see what you all may need in the future.

Praying…..

4. Danielle says:

I am praying for your entire family, but mostly for the mommy and baby.  We know how exhausting it is to spend time in the hospital with a sick child.  I pray that you get some clarity from the Doctors and a plan for Verity’s care for the near future.  And a chance to rest.  Let us know if there is a way we can help.  I have been checking the blog here, and praying, and giving Joel updates on little Verity every night.
    Joel and Danielle Madison

5. Joy Horton says:

Thank you for the update, Joseph. It is so helpful in knowing how to pray. I’m so happy that your mom doesn’t have to eat hosp. food! What a blessing! I love, love, love hearing how God is providing for you all. It’s really awesome to behold!

You are in our prayers and our hearts.

The Horton Family

6. Tami Swaim says:

From my limit experience watching a friend of our go through this similar experience, her wee one did feed through a NG tube pretty much from birth until big enough for the same operation that Verity needs.  His name is Ezra.  He did pull through the operation and is growing well and doing well.  This all happened about a year ago.  I wonder if you would like contact with them? They are believers (living in Indiana).  We know them through our coworkers in Poland (they too were missionaries in Poland) and visited us over there.  Ezra also has down’s syndrome.