My name is Verity.

July 3rd, 2010

I’m one week old today.

I have Down syndrome.  That’s not a disease, it’s just an extra chromosome.

I also have a big hole in the middle of my heart.  A doctor will have to fix the hole so I can be healthy.

Don’t I look scary?

So scary that grown up men and women lose their heads and want to do terrible things to make people like me go away where they don’t have to think about us.  They sometimes call this “Discussing Options.”

(My family is so proud of me when I hold my head up like this.)

Maybe I make those people feel sad and afraid.  I’m not trying to scare anybody, I promise.  I’m just a baby.

(Some of Mommy’s friends gave me these special blankets.  They are very soft.)

My mommy was sad and afraid, too, so she understands that part.  She was worried about stuff that wasn’t even true.  But then God taught her a thing or two that she really needed to learn.  And He put joy in her heart.

(She still has more things to learn, too, like patience.)

Did I tell you that Verity means, “Truth?”  And my middle name is “Joy?”

(Mommy, you should see if my new bow fits me!  Look, just right!)

Or maybe those people don’t like almond-shaped eyes?  My family does.  My family thinks they are beautiful.  My family wishes they could tell all the Daddies and Mommies that they shouldn’t be scared of having a baby like me.

Now I hope my Mommy will put her camera down and remember I’m hungry.  See, Mommy?  Hungry baby…

Thank you, God, for making me special.  Thank you for giving me to a family who loves me lots and lots, and not to those other kind of people.

I am happy to be alive.

21 Responses to “My name is Verity.”

1. Brandy says:

Great post!

2. Aunt Mary says:

So very precious. Thank you so very much for making time to share pictures and your story. Still praying for Verity and her family.

3. Janns says:

Thanks for those thoughts, Verity. You are a very special girl with a very special family. You are a beautiful baby! (I like almond eyes, too!)

4. Barb Murphy says:

Sweet pictures and a precious message.  Verity Joy is fortunate to be part of such a loving family.  Congratulations and God’s richest blessings to all of you.

Barb Murphy

5. Robin says:

She is gorgeous!!  You are so blessed!!!

6. Joy Horton says:

I cannot wait to hold you one day myself, beautiful little Verity! I love your eyes, your cheeks, your hair, your little frame, and your LIFE! I’m SO glad God gave you to your family who will love you and appreciate you the way you should be. May we be so blessed someday!

7. Yvonda says:

I love it!  Definitely a classic.  :)
    I also love those almond eyes; it is such a treat to see her awake, and look how strong she is!  What a beautiful blessing!

8. Will you think it strange if I suddenly show up on your doorstep and ask to hold Verity?! (Ok, technically you’ll know I’m coming because I’ll have to ask for directions first!) I just have to come and snuggle with that baby of yours .. she is waay too cute. I can’t imagine that she’s ever not being held and cuddled in your house. Honestly though .. anytime you need an extra “holder” just call me! :)

9. Shannon says:

Beautiful, sweet Verity!

10. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Precious and beautiful!  I can easily imagine how it must be to nuzzle a nose in her cheeks!  What a special gift she is!!

11. Misty (Livingtoglorfiy2) says:

So glad to see this post! Had not been on the boards in a bit and missed her birth. Such precious pictures and words. God is soo good!!! I cannot wait to watch this little sweetie grow up (and your family grow with her). I hope we at momys can continue to be a part of it. I am praying for you all and so excited to see what blessing He is bringing your way through this precious little package…. complete with a bow on top! :)

Danielle, that made me laugh!  Yes, come for a visit!  That would be fun as long as you leave Verity here when you go back home! :)

13. allison (christianmomoflots) says:

Oh she is so precious and very beautiful! Congratulations on a very wonderful gift!

14. Lisa says:

She is absolutely beautiful!  My family will be praying for you.

15. Marilyn Osborn says:

This is still one of my very favorite posts….I just love it.  M

16. Mary Feigum says:

sussana,

I have been catching up reading your blog. I have a son born july 9, 2010 that has down syndrome. I don’t know how you find the time to blog. We also have a big family 6 boys.  I want to tell you that you are a stronger woman then me. I have read your early posts and how you found out at the ultrasound that your little girl had medical issues. Our ultrasound was totally normal and we had no clue of what was to come. In a way it must have been nice to be able to read up on downs and be prepared but I am sort of thankful that the Lord chose a different road for us. Either way I have actually gotten to the point that I am accepting and I can even say…yes…thankful for downs and the special way that the Lord has made our son. Thank you for the blog. Its so nice to know that I am not alone in this journey. I live in a very rural area and have yet to meet a mother with a very young child with downs. God Bless you Mary Feigum

Welcome, Mary! I am glad you stopped by and wrote a note! Have you checked out http://www.momys.com or the Baby Center Down Syndrome board? Momys is a wonderful community of support for Christian moms of big families, and the Baby Center board is great for support and information for this Down syndrome journey! :)

18. Barbara Williams says:

I just read this..my son Joshua is 10. I wish I could have heard those words when he was born. We had a terrible experience after his birth but no need to reminanace . Ty for sharin Verity’s story and all your blog posts they are wonderful.

19. Tori says:

Glory to God for beautiful babies!!! :)

20. Tara says:

Beautiful baby girl ♥  Shared this on Facebook tonight.  I found your blog because I was helping your Aussie American friend Kim with Tommy’s blog button earlier.  Been reading about Verity now :)  Thank you for sharing her beautiful story with me and the world who so desperately needs to hear it!

21. Linda says:

Welcome to the world, True Joy! You are a very special blessing from Jesus to our world and we are so grateful you are here. You teach us so many beautiful truths, Verity, and you will bring more joy to your mommy and daddy than they knew was possible. Good luck on your surgery, you’ll do so well. There’s a warrior spirit in your heart. My little girl, who is a different kind of special, has had several heart surgeries and even a heart transplant and is a living breathing miracle, just like you. She brings Jesus wherever she goes and has opened many a heart to Him anew. Sometimes the road was hard and I’ve cried many tears for the pain she had to endure but I see how Jesus has used her as a special catalyst to bring Himself into many people’s lives. You, little precious, are already bringing people to Him. I bless your ministry in the name of Jesus. Amen.