Tonight…

June 26th, 2010

…Verity did pretty well with the nursing!  I’m learning some new tricks to hold her correctly and help support her jaw and get her to want to suck harder.  I’m also using a nursing shield after her attempts to nurse.  She is impressing us with her determination to work on what comes so easily to so many other babies.  She and I will both learn patience together! After nursing, I have her suck on my pinkie finger, fingernail-side down, and we give her pumped milk from a syringe in the corner of her mouth as she sucks. It would be easier to show than it is to describe!

And after her last feeding time, she gave us a treat!  She had a little bit of alert awake time, and tried to focus on our faces when we talked to her!  Up until now, she has been very sleepy.  (Now we’re the ones who are sleepy—must be catching.  :)  If something I write doesn’t make sense, please disregard it and chalk it up to not having slept a wink since Thursday night into Friday!)

The NICU nurse told us that Verity will probably be able to be in our room with us after the late feeding tonight, since she’s been so stable!  Oh, JOY!  It is hard to walk away and leave her in another room! The nurse just needs to talk with the neonatologist to double check that it’s okay.

From what we’ve been told, we are hopeful that tomorrow morning we will receive the results of today’s echocardiogram and EKG, and then if the pediatric cardiologist approves, be discharged!

All these pictures are from this afternoon~

15 Responses to “Tonight…”

1. Susanna and family, Verity is just simply adorable!!  Love those sweet cheeks too.  Hope you can rest a bit tonight, Susanna and that nursing will go well.  (((hugs)))

2. Aunt Mary says:

What a precious baby! Wish I could cuddle her. God bless her and all the family.

3. Sabrina says:

She is so precious.  Congratulations!
    What hopeful news to be able to take her home.  Praising the Lord with you!

4. Jennifer says:

I followed your link from the BabyCenter.  When my son was born last month we also did “finger feeding” however we used a g-tube (with one end on my index finger and the other end in the bottle of milk) instead of a syringe.  It worked amazingly well.  We had to do that for about 5 days.  He is eating like a champ now.  I hope nursing improves soon for you and Verity.  :)

5. Erin says:

…just wanted to drop in and tell you that I too used a shield in the hospital but by one month, once Grady had grown a bit we were able to ditch them! (where as my typical son used it for the whole time we nursed) yay for hopefully going home.

6. Yvonda says:

I am so, so happy for you!  She is so beautiful, and I’m thrilled that she is doing so well.  Hopefully you’ll get some good rest soon.

7. Robin says:

What a beautiful little girl!  Congratulations and glad things are going well.

8. Jennifer says:

So precious!! I’m glad it’s going so well. A lot of the same tricks I imagine you’re learning for Verity I had to learn to use with my preemies, and boy, do I remember finger feeding!!! I hope she was able to room with you last night. Prayers that you’ll be home soon and that the echo is good.

9. Shannon says:

She is beautiful, love the pic of her with her daddy, precious!!   Praying you get wonderful news today wrt to tests!  <3

10. Shannon says:

Oops, I must have missed the one with you with her, beautiful!

11. Angela in MT says:

Wonderful!  You are so blessed!  She is such a beautiful baby!

12. Marilyn Osborn says:

I just had to come look at her in all of her adorableness again!  Hope today is going well!  ((((((Hugs))))))))

13. Joy Horton says:

Ditto Marilyn! I love these pics! I don’t know what Laura looked like as a baby, but if I had to guess, I’d post the pics above as my guess! ; )

She’s SO precious! Please give those beautiful cheekies a kiss from “Aunt Joy” : )

14. greta says:

she is beautiful!

15. Hope says:

What an amazing & beautiful story (I’m a few years late) She is absolutely beautiful!