Her nest is ready!

June 6th, 2010

What is the big deal about the shelving I keep talking about?  Well, in all these years, this is the first time we literally have not had space available in our room for a new baby or any baby things.  A year ago, we moved to the smallest bedroom of the three in our house–even down-sized our bed–and all readily usable space has been used.  Time to think outside the dresser!

Joe built them.  Daniel painted them.  My dad’s wife contributed an infusion of creative ideas to soften their starkly square lines.  The girls and I had a blast finding materials we already had on hand (with some additional ribbon from the fabric store) to make her ideas work.

For all my friends who live too far away to visit and don’t think this is an unbearably tedious subject…

The smaller set of shelves.  This dresser holds Peter, James, and Stephen’s clothes and other necessities~

Closer view~

Some of the buttons we used came from my mother’s button box~

Laura wore this dress eleven summers ago~

The second set of shelves on the facing wall.  We do plan to put baskets on that top shelf to get a bit more useful storage space out of it~

Details~

I had to smile when I saw the book, “Hidden Art” in this shot!  (“The Hidden Art of Homemaking,” by Edith Schaeffer.)  My mom gave this book to me when I was an older teen.  The flyleaf says, “To Susanna, from Mother, With love.”  As life has gotten more full, in my quest for the practical I have too often neglected the beautiful.  But there is something so satisfying about living out this facet of the image of God; bringing beauty out of ugliness as well as order out of chaos~

All the books on the new shelving used to be in a small bookshelf that sat right where this bassinet is now.  We are expecting Verity to stay in our room for a lot longer than our other babies, partly because she is not likely to grow out of the bassinet as fast as they did, and partly because of her special health needs.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, this little space for this little girl hardly merits a mention.  But it’s a visible expression of our love for our Verity, and a small reflection of the tender mercy of the God who carefully designed her for our family.

“Let Your work appear to Your servants, and Your glory to their children.  And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; yes, establish the work of our hands.”

8 Responses to “Her nest is ready!”

1. Jennifer says:

That is so precious! I love all the ribbon and buttons. And thanks for the reminder that functionality doesn’t need to be stark. I need to be more intentional about bringing some beauty into my homemaking.
    God Bless!

2. Linda Fisher says:

You did a great job! It’s so cute!

3. Yvonda Groff says:

I only got this in our mailbox today!

This is SO COOL!!!!  I am thrilled!  You did such a lovely job with it, everyone, and doesn’t it make you super excited to hold her and kiss her???
    I can hardly wait to see it in person!

4. Ann Bremer says:

I love Verity’s little nest!  I noticed the book One Morning in Maine on top of one of the shelves.  My oldest is Sally and when I was expecting #3 and we were trying to find a girl’s name, we decided on Jane after reading that book.  It’s one of my Jane’s favorite books!

Verity’s arrival is so close now!  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading about all the preparations, both in your home and in your heart.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every baby could be as eagerly anticipated!  I can’t wait to see her.

All my best!
    Ann Bremer

That book is one of our favorites too, Ann, along with Robert McCloskey’s other children’s books.  And we have a Jane, too! :)

The book on the other shelf, “Mr. Apple’s Family,” was one my brothers and sisters and I had when we were growing up.  We found this one at a used book sale for a dollar, and later were amazed to find out that it is a somewhat rare treasure and worth more than we could afford to pay!  Very charming book about another full and happy house, and one of our youngsters’ favorites!

6. Joy Horton says:

Absolutely precious, Susanna! I love the lining of the shelves, the lamp, the buttons! So precious!!! What a blessed little girl to have so much LOVE waiting for her!!!!!!

7. Oh, so lovely!   This just makes me smile!  It just feels so wonderful to carve out that little place in our home isn’t it, for a new little precious one?  Something about having that done just makes my heart sing!  You all did such a lovely and creative job Susanna!
    I am such a fan of One Morning In Maine also!  I didn’t know they had that in hard cover, ‘should have thought of that, ours is so pathetically loved on so hard, it’s lost it’s cover.  :)
    God bless you, and many, many hugs and prayers for you!
    ((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

8. Erin says:

It looks so beautiful! I love nurseries, I never had one for either of mine. Read your previous post too, my brother lives near Lancaster, it’s beautiful there.