First NICU

June 26th, 2010

Very quickly–after a GREAT start and being told that she didn’t need the NICU and could go home tomorrow, Verity is being observed in the NICU for 8 to 12 hours for being cyanotic (blueness from her oxygen levels dropping too low).  She started out with excellent muscle tone, but that has dropped off and she is very floppy now.

Also, she had a strong suck and nursed incredibly well for her first nursing session, but since then, she’s had to be fed by syringe and I am pumping after a good attempt at nursing her each time.  She may just be in the newborn sleepy stage and wake up a bit more tomorrow, but you know we’ve been prepared for some difficulties.  Thank the Lord the lactation consultant found an older pump that I could use with the pump parts (leftover from our twin experience) I brought along, so we don’t have to buy new parts.

We’re still waiting for her echo results, and we’ll keep you posted as we’re able.  Also, they failed to get enough blood for her chromosomal testing, so they’ll try again at a later time.

If you have called our cell phones, please know that we have very poor reception for them here.  We can get email and have internet access, though!

Thank you all for praying for us and for rejoicing with us!  I’m planning to work on that birth story a little at a time, before I start to forget details!  :)

(We also need to take some pictures!  Partly so her brothers and sisters can see her, too!  We miss you and love you, children!)

9 Responses to “First NICU”

1. Jessica says:

Hey girl! Sorry to hear Verity is in NICU. We have been and will continue praying for her. I am eagerly awaiting your birth story too, I will be watching here and on Momys. Blessings to you and yours~
    Jess

2. Marilyn Osborn says:

(((((((Hugs))))))))  it is good that I don’t live closeby b/c it would be KILLING me not to come up there to see you and that sweet girl!!!!  I’m so glad to hear that things went well.  I’m sorry to read that she is having a bit of trouble now.  Praying that it resolves very quickly and she gets back to nursing well for you.  I can’t wait to see pictures, friend.  I can only imagine how precious she is!  Love you! M

3. Praying for Verity.  I am so thrilled!

4. Wanda Hall says:

She is so BEAUTIFUL and you both look so much in love . My girls said to tell you she is so adorable and they love her cheeks !!!!!!! Praying she will get to come home so quickly

Thank you all!  I realized that I still can’t post pictures on the blog without Joseph’s expertise, so unless we figure it out over the phone, those will have to wait.  I emailed some to the children, though! :)

6. Tanya says:

Praying her stay in nicu is not to long. She is adorable and I look forward to reading her birth story and about the goodness of the Lord.

7. Lisa says:

8 pounds!  Sounds like a strong healthy girl.  Magdalena seemed to have the typical newborn sleepiness times 3 and I’ve heard similar things from other Ds moms too.  Praying that her little heart and lungs adjust to life outside the womb and you can bring her home real soon!

8. Marilyn Osborn says:

Just checking for updates…i pray things are going well.  (((((Hugs)))))

9. Praying she can be with you after the late night feeding.  (((hugs)))