Would we change her if we could?

April 20th, 2010

One short answer is, “Yes, we will undoubtedly change her many, many times until she is potty-trained.”

But the shortest answer is, “No.

We would, and will, do all we can to remove or overcome her medical difficulties, but no, we would not take away the extra chromosome that God decided to give her.  We now see this as an enhancement, not a drawback.  If Verity would be born without Down syndrome, we would feel disappointed.

Just for the record, if we could tamper with our other children’s genes to “improve” them where we think they may be lacking, we would not do that, either.  We do not believe we can design them better than God did.

And out of this realization, I finally came up with an answer for those who say, “I’m sorry,” when they hear that our next daughter has Down syndrome.

“Oh, please don’t be sorry!  We aren’t sorry!”

8 Responses to “Would we change her if we could?”

1. Joy Horton says:

I’m not sorry, either, Susanna! You (and we) are going to be – and already are – so blessed by her little person! We can’t wait to meet her! You are BLESSED!

2. Shannon says:

That is perfect Susanna!  I think that today’s way of thinking is so anti-God-is-the-perfect-Creator that so many people miss that God doesn’t make mistakes!  I needed this message today.  Actually, every time I receive an emai from your blog it is always a blessing.

I love the pics from the trip, also, you have a lovely family and looks like you had a good time, despite the challenges!

3. Rebecca says:

Ken Ham was way up here in Alberta this weekend for our provincial homeschool conference, which just happened to be in my backyard.  So I was able to sit in on his teachings.  It was so amazing, and so faith building.  People were so moved, the line ups at the AIG table were awesome!  :smile:   I was happy to line up too, it was a privilege. I do so want my children to hear this message, that God is (so intricately) not only our Creator, but that His word is true.
    Yes Verity is so fearfully and wonderfully made.  And she has so marvelously touched our lives already!

4. Colleen says:

Praise the Lord!  I’m so behind on your blog, but I’ve been reading here and there.  Forgive me for just now getting around to commenting!
    (And you may know me from MOMYS)

5. Shannon says:

I just wanted to share this video that touched me this evening.  “warning, tears”

*tears*

Thank you, Shannon.

7. Neysha says:

Oh Susanna beautifully said.  People always think I would want to change my son or the circumstances  if I could.  But I don’t just like you.  You love Verity for every precious bit about her.  I can’t wait to see her precious face.

8. Amy says:

So many people have told me that it is okay to grieve the loss of not having a “perfect” baby or the loss of a healthy child. I have never even considered grieving. I am scared about what medical challenges my little Amelia may face. I love her just the way she is and I wouldn’t change a thing. She is six weeks old and beautiful.