Happy baby news!

April 23rd, 2010

We are celebrating tonight and rejoicing in what the Lord has done!  Thank you all so much for praying!

Dr. Weber took one look at the screen and said, “A complete AV Canal Defect.”  Verity has moderately-sized holes in both her atrial septum and ventricular septum, and she has one valve going across her whole heart instead of having a mitral valve and tricuspid valve.

He spent the rest of the time examining every part of her heart in detail.  The rest of her heart is perfect except for one small additional hole in the ventricular septum.  There is no enlargement or underdevelopment; there are no obstructions or other abnormalities.  The rate of blood flow through her heart is perfect.  We have been praying for her heart to be strong!

He said that based on what he saw, he had no hesitation giving approval for her delivery at the local hospital rather than at the tertiary care center!  This in itself is a mercy of the Lord, as it is much closer to home and will be a much more reasonable cost!

She will need an echocardiogram after she is born before she is discharged from the hospital.  At that time, in addition to examining her AV Canal in more detail, they will look for a PDA, or Patent Ductus Arteriosis.  Verity has several risk factors for developing this condition, including being female, having Down syndrome, and having a congenital heart defect.

From what he could see, and if she continues to do well, we should be able to take her home from the hospital as usual, with instructions on what to watch for.  He recommended that we have her seen at a pediatric heart clinic a week or so after we take her home.  She shouldn’t need her open heart surgery until she is a few months old.  He described the surgery she will need as “straightforward,” and said that they have performed many of these surgeries with great success.

As if all this good news wasn’t enough, God threw in a little unexpected fun!  She started out head down, but was very wiggly.  The tech kept pushing at her from one side to nudge her into a better position.  She responded by turning transverse so that her feet were aimed at the tech, and spent the rest of the scan kicking back at the tech like a spunky girl!

At the end, the tech turned the scan to 3D and took three pictures for us to keep, all three taken within the space of one minute.  Within that short period of time, Verity smiled!

If you can look past the bumpy and lumpy “claymation effect” that all 3D ultrasounds have, you will see what we saw~

12 Responses to “Happy baby news!”

1. Lisa says:

Good news!  Didn’t the ultrasound make you so anxious to hold her?  Our Magdalena’s AV Canal was slightly unbalanced.  She had her surgery at 4 1/2 months old.  I have a booklet I want to send you about breastfeeding your baby with Down syndrome.  Would you be willing to email me your home address?

2. Shannon says:

What a beautiful smile she has already!!  Praising the Lord with you for the findings, Susanna!

3. JenK says:

Awww, she is SO precious! I’m so glad you got a clear diagnosis and she won’t need surgery immediately! Praise the Lord!

Thank you all!  And YES, Lisa, to both questions (just emailed you)!  I keep looking at her picture and wanting to nuzzle that little face!  (Her cheeks look exactly like all our other babies’ chubby, kissable cheeks!)

5. Denise says:

Oh Susanna–  I am so happy for you!!  That picture is PRECIOUS!!!  I have never seen such a clear picture either—  WOW!!!!

And PLEASE as always– if traveling toward Harrisburg/Hershey– and you need a pit stop– we are nearby—  PLEASE feel free to call– I can pm you on MOMYS with my phone number.

God Bless– and we will continue to lift your family up in prayer during this time.

6. Yvonda says:

Yay!!!  This was my first stop this morning after getting breakfast in the oven.  I dreamed all night about you and Verity.  I’m so profoundly blessed and happy for you!  Praise God!  What a loving Father He is!  It is just like Him to give you that sweet picture of her.  How can you not want to cuddle her right now! :)
    We are rejoicing with you today!

7. Aunt Mary says:

That was exciting news and answer to prayer. May the Lord be praised! I will continue prayers for you, your family, and precious Verity.  You will never know how much your writings have meant to me.

8. jennifer76 says:

PTL!!!!!!!!

9. Aunt Erma says:

I love the picture.   She looks quite healthy and happy—but why not—she has two great, loving parents.  Thanks for sharing your precious child with us.   May the Lord continue to bless your entire family.

10. Jennifer V. (MomtoabunchaVs) says:

Seeing her beautiful smile made my heart swell!  PTL for such a great update!

11. Rejoicing with you!!  Will continue to pray for precious Verity and may the Lord continue to be your stay and comfort.  It has been encouraging to me to see how the Lord has been with you and His peace is shining forth in your writing.  (((hugs)))  Verity is simply adorable, what a cute little face!!

12. Tanya Geraci says:

Now I know why I’ve been thinking of you a lot more these past several days! Blessings to you and Verity and your family. I’m so happy for you!  : )